Saturday, March 24, 2012

Milky Way Cake


About 6 years ago when I was 18, I lived in a little small town in northern mexico,
where I was born, I stayed there for about a year. My cousin Sussie owned a 
beauty salon in the down town area where I would daily stop by before or after my
drum lessons to get my hair done... three days out of the week I would stop by this
little bake shop down the street from her salon named Pasteleria Leon.  I could not
get enough of their Milky Way cake...  It was seriously hands down the best cake
I've ever had  and the funny thing is I don't even really like Milky Way bars... 
but that Milky Way cake was something else!

Lately for some odd reason I couldn't stop thinking about the cake, it might be the fact
that I am almost 7 months pregnant and my craving are acting up... Who knows,
I searched the internet like crazy for a couple of days to try and find a copy cat recipe
for their cake but I was just not having any luck with it. It was especially hard because
I honestly don't remember exactly how the cake was... I just remembered not being
able to have enough of it! I came across a recipe from a lady in Colombia for a 
Milky Way cake that I thought seemed the closest to that one perfect slice of cake from 
Pasteleria Leon so after a few weeks of thinking it over... I just had to give it a go!


I won't tell you that this cake I made was close to the one I had in mind from years ago,
because well I honestly cannot remember the exact flavors and layers in the cake but
never the less as I was eating it, it just took me back to those warm days in my life...
walking the streets of downtown with my big slice of amazing Milky Way cake,
drum sticks sticking out of my bag and my long wavy hair swinging from side to side as
I went through the beats I had learned that day in my head. It was delicious.

This recipe is a bit elaborate, I'm not gonna lie. Though there are two or three things you could
do to make things easier for you, that I will probably be doing next time I bake this beauty.
Which by the way won't be too soon and not because it wasn't one of the best
chocolate cakes I have made hands down but because I believe a slice of this cake amounts
to my daily calorie intake!

Shortcuts:

1. You don't have to bake a two layer cake, this recipe originally calls for a bundt cake pan.
( I decided to make a layer cake in order to put a filling in the middle so it would resemble
Pasteleria Leon's cake.)

2. You could definitely leave the caramel sauce out, I didn't think it was much needed for the
frosting and ganache is more than enough deliciousness. Next time I'll either half the recipe
or leave it out completely.

3. The white frosting recipe calls for you to blend marshmallows and condensed milk together
until you get a smooth consistency next time I'm for sure skipping this step and adding
marshmallow fluff instead!


Milky Way Cake
serves 12

what you will need:

chocolate cake:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c, cocoa powder
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 1.2 c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 eggs, room temp.

white frosting:
- 1/2 c. condensed milk
- 1.2 c. marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 bars, 8 oz. cream cheese, softened.

chocolate ganache:
- 2 milky way chocolates, chopped
- 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
H
caramel:
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 1.2 c. brown sugar

what to do:

cake: 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8 inch cake pans or
one bundt cake pan. Sift first 5 ingredients. Cream butter then slowly incorporate sugar.
Add flour mixture, alternating with milk and vanilla, as always starting and ending w/ flour.
Beat for 2 minutes, add eggs and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour into cake pans.
Bake for 30 minutes, let cool 10 minutes to unmold. Set aside and let cool completely.

white frosting:

Cream the cream cheese in mixer until you get a smooth consistency then add
the condensed milk and marshmallow fluff. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Place in fridge covered with plastic wrap to gain texture, for about 30 minutes.

chocolate ganache:

Melt all ingredients in a heat resistant bowl placed on top of simmering water.
Make sure bowl doesn't touch water. Let cool before you use.

caramel:

Heat sugar and cream in a small saucepan set over a medium flame, stirring constantly
until the sugar dissolves completely and mixture thickens up (will take a while).
Let cool before you use.

to assemble the cake:

Here you could really do as you please and get creative.
Make a layer cake like me if you're feeling capable! or 
just make a single layer cake and frost it as I did before 
I added the top layer. You can also go with the bundt cake.
Feel free to experiment and use milky way bars to decorate,
I chopped some up and put them in between my layers.

This would make the best birthday cake ever for a chocolate lover!

P.S. The chocolate cake recipe on it's own is one of the very best I've tried!
My first batch,  I forgot to flour my pans, I buttered them but forgot the flour...
sadly my cakes completely stuck to the pans and I had to bake another batch
but! not one crumb was wasted, it was absolutely amazing I shared it with
friends and neighbors.

Enjoy
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Okay this looks delicious. But I'm kinda of bad at cooking haha, I might try it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! let me know if you end up making it or if you have any questions (:

      Delete