slightly adapted from: Martha Stewart living, December 2012
- 2 c. flour
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c. confectioners sugar
Mix ins of your choice, I used 1/2 cup of chopped pistachios and 1/2 cup of dried cranberries.
You could use chocolate chunks, dried fruit of your choice and nuts. Martha does a coconut-
pecan combo that sounds absolutely delicious.
1. Sift together flour and salt into a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
Add sugar gradually, beating between additions, continue to beat until
mixture is very pale, about 2 minutes total.
3. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, beat until just combined.
4. Add mix-ins of choice and beat on low once again, until just combined.
5. Press dough evenly into a parchments lined 9 by 13 inch rimmed baking sheet,
refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
6. Cut dough in eights lengthwise then quarters crosswise, making 32 rectangles.
Evenly pierce all over with a fork.
7. Bake until shortbread is firm in center and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
* If dipping in chocolate; Melt chocolate, Dip bars in chocolate then refrigerate
until chocolate is set about 10 minutes.