Wednesday, January 4, 2012

hello 2012! reason why I've been absent & whole wheat shortbread cookie recipe

Hi, those of you who check out my blog and have actually noticed that I have been not posting for some time!
I hope all of you enjoyed your holidays with the people you love, best wishes for this new year!

Now, the reason why I've been gone for some time is...


I'm pregnant! I will be 16 weeks tomorrow and I couldn't be happier!
The first 13 weeks I was feeling really sick. Nausea, fatigue, headaches and so on.
I was so sad that I couldn't enjoy my pregnancy like I wanted to, I could
hardly get out of bed and every food or smell made me sick to my stomach but
I am so excited that I am feeling waaaay better, now I can get back to baking
and blogging and well doing the things that I enjoy. Also one of my new year goals
is to dedicate myself a bit more to my blog and make it a little more personal by
sharing pictures, thoughts and highlights of my days. I'm happy to be back.


This is just a simple recipe that I love and I wanted to share with you. These cookies are super fast
to make, all you have to do is whisk 5 ingredients together and you're pretty much done!
It's a somewhat healthier version of your regular shortbread cookie but just as delicious,
perfect for all those new year resolutions ;).
I used strawberry and kiwi preserves and they turned out great, they were gone in hours!
Hope you guys give this recipe a try and if you do feel free to tell me what you think.

Whole Wheat Shortbread Cookies

recipe from: Bon Appetit, September 2011

- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 10 1/2 T. salted butter, room temp.
- 1 large egg, room temp.
- 1 large egg yolk, room temp.
- 3 T. (about) raspberry jam

* you can substitute the jam with any kind you'd like,
  preserves work great as well!

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Whisk flour, sugar & baking powder in a large bowl.
Add butter using your fingertips, rub in butter until coarse meal forms.

3. Whisk egg and yolk in a bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just to blend!

4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Now... the recipe says
to measure 2 T. of dough but I think my cookies came out way to big so
I would highly suggest that you only use 1 T. of dough and roll into balls.

5. Place on prepared sheets, spacing 2" apart. Make an indentation in
center of each ball; fill each with 1/2 t. jam or preserves if you are using 2 T.
of dough but if you only used 1 T. of dough then only use 1/4 t. jam.
(I know 1/4 t. sounds like a little but if you use more the jam will spill.)
Bake cookies 12-16 minutes, or until cookies are nice and golden.
Let cookies cool and enjoy!





















No comments:

Post a Comment