Friday, October 31, 2014

Pumpkin Pain Perdu


I have actually been wanting to make this since last autumn, when I first saw it circulating Pinterest. Pumpkin french toast.

(Warning: I am about to rant about all these pumpkin spice products in stores. Skip paragraph if you wish.)

Gimme all things pumpkin but NOT pumpkin spice please and thank you. I made my own pumpkin spice syrup but just found the spices to be too over whelming so then I bought the pumpkin flavored pumpkin creamer and it was the same problem. I could not taste pumpkin but instead just an enormous amount of clove and ginger. So I saw these pumpkin bagels that I though would be delicious with a thin layer of cream cheese in the morning and... SAME problem so yeah. Other than the occasional pumpkin latte from Starbucks which I enjoy, I'm not buying pumpkin spice anything! (This is a copycat recipe of the famous starbucks pumpkin latte, that has been my favorite so far but I actually have not made this year.)

Lately I haven't felt like breakfast food of any kind. Especially not eggs. I think I over ate eggs. Like... I would have them for almost every meal. Fried, poached and boiled. In french toast too. But yesterday I thought some french toast would be nice and I happened to have a can of pumpkin on hand so this happened.

I didn't follow any recipe, just went with the flow. I really enjoy the color that pumpkin puree adds to food. It's just this pretty, warm, gold color. The pumpkin flavor it adds is subtle but you can definitely taste it.



Pumpkin Pain Perdu

serves 1

- 1 egg
- 1 heaping tablespoon pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons milk/heavy cream
- splash of vanilla extract
- cinnamon to taste
- 2 slices of bread of your choice ( I used sliced french bread )
- Syrup/ whipped cream to serve

Mix egg, pumpkin, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in bowl. Dip bread in liquid until fully covered. Place on a hot and buttered griddle and cook until golden brown on both sides. Pour syrup on top and add some whipped cream if you're feeling extra fancy!



XOXO
Lidia

No comments:

Post a Comment