Sunday, November 9, 2014

Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup


I've been obsessing over butternut squash soup ever since I first tried Boudin's butternut squash soup. I don't know if any of you have ever tried it but it is to die for! It has all the right spices, just the right texture and it is topped with these spiced walnuts and cranberries. The. Best. Soup. Ever. I used to get it 2-3 times a week with half of a chicken pesto sandwich (also amazing!), when I was working.

I've been trying to find a copy cat recipe so I can recreate it, this fall in the warmth of my kitchen but I've had no luck so far... So I made this butternut squash + red pepper soup by combining a few different recipes. It is super yummy and creamy and makes your stomach warm and happy during these cool and dark fall days. Also it is super fast and easy, what will take you the longest is probably cutting and peeling the butternut squash but it is definitely worth it OR you can buy it already peeled and diced.

I will not give up tough and I will be back with a copy cat recipe for Boudin's soup no matter how long it takes!


Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup
servings: 6

Ingredients:

1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
garlic cloves, smashed and peeled (as much as you want)
5 cups of water
2 tablespoons of chicken bullion
1 tablespoon sugar
2 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup of heavy cream

Place all ingredients in a soup pot except for the cream cheese and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes. Turn off and let cool for about 10 minutes.

Puree soup and the two ounces of cream cheese in blender until smooth, making sure you leave the hole in the lid open. It will take about three batches. Return to pot and stir in the heavy cream, bring to a simmer and turn off.

You can add croutons like I did, eat with a side of sour dough or a sandwich of your choice.

XOXO
Lidia







No comments:

Post a Comment