Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mexican Pasta Salad


This is the pasta salad that was served at every get together I attended as a child. Birthday parties, Christmas, New years, Bbqs and so on and so forth. I could never get enough of it, it's meant to be a side but I usually tend to eat bowls of it without a care in the world. I made it yesterday, we had some family over and we served it with home-made tamales and re-fried beans. It was out of this world!

This salad is very adaptable and you can play around with different ingredients. To this batch, I added shredded carrots, pickled jalapeños, onion, corn and ham. Other ingredients I have added in the past are peas and boiled cubed potatoes. I didn't measure anything and it is really not necessary at all, you add everything to your liking and taste as you go. That being said I will put estimated measurements down below. This would be great served with basically anything or if you're like me, all on it's own!

Mexican Pasta Salad

Ingredients

- 1 lb. cooked elbow pasta
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of chopped pickled jalapeños + 1/4 cup  of the pickled jalapeño juice
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 2 cups of corn
- 8-10 deli sliced turkey or ham, diced
- about 1-2 cups of mayo
- garlic salt to taste

1. Place your already diced onion in a big salad bowl and pour the pickled jalapeño juice on top. Set aside while you prep the rest of your ingredients. This helps the onion pickle a bit and gets rid of that strong, raw onion taste.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, season to taste. Enjoy!

XOXO, Lidia

No comments:

Post a Comment