Monday, September 27, 2010
Best Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Puddle Cookies
- 3 c walnut halves, toasted & cooled
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 c + 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- scant 1/2 t fine grain salt
- 4 large egg whites, room temp.
- 1 T vanilla extract
recipe adapted from 101 cookbooks
She had me at " texture that made me think of a collision
between soft meringue and a fudgy brownie".
1. Preheat oven to 320 degrees.
Position racks on top and bottom third.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper
( this step is crucial, i usually use wax paper
for everything so the first time i made these
cookies they got stuck to the wax paper
completely! it was the worst. moral of the story
use parchment paper.)
2. Make sure walnut have cooled, chop coarsely and
set aside. sift powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and
sea salt. stir in walnuts then add egg whites and
vanilla. stir until well combined.
3. Spoon batter onto prepared sheets, 1 T each
( these cookies will be HUGE, they expand like crazy).
allow plenty of room between cookies.
4. Bake until they puff up. Tops should get glossy
and crack a bit. 12-15 minutes. (rotate pans).
* let cool completely before removing.
they keep in airtight for a couple of days,
IF you get lucky and don't eat them all at once!