Baked cookies for my grandmother and aunt.
I loved them, and you should try them. Simple as that.
- 1 c. shortening
- 1 c. granulated sugar ( i used 3/4)
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 buttermilk ( i used regular milk)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 3 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- strawberry preserves, or any other kind
of preserves that you would like.
I used strawberry and blueberry preserves.
1. in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
add eggs, milk and vanilla; mix until smooth.
2. stir together flour and next three ingredients;
stir into creamed mixture. cover and chill.
(chill for about an hour, if not dough will be very
hard to work with. i put the dough in the freezer.)
3. after your dough is chilled, you roll it out,
(not to thick since you will be covering with another
piece of dough)
on a very good floured surface so it won’t stick.
cut into rounds with cookie cutter.
4. place 1 t. preserves on half of the rounds;
top with remaining rounds.
lightly seal the edges with a fork. ( keyword: lightly)
with knife, cut crisscross slits in tops of cookies.
bake at 350, until golden, 10-15 minutes.
( i baked mine in a 375 degree oven for 12 minutes.)