Sunday, September 26, 2010
Zucchini-Pecan Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Seriously if you don’t try this cake you will be missing out on the best zucchini cake ever.
I do apologize for not taking a better picture but, don't judge a book by it's cover! ;)
adapted from: bon appetit magazine
- nonstick vegetable spray
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. coarse kosher salt (you can use regular table salt)
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1.4 t. ground nutmeg (i didn’t add any)
- 3/4 cup olive oil (not extra virgin!) *also i used canola oil,
i ran out of olive oil.
- 1 c. packed golden brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely grated zucchini
1. position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
line a 9x2 pan with wax paper. spray with vegetable oil.
2. whisk flour, baking powder, coarse salt, cinnamon, ginger and
nutmeg (if using) in medium bowl to blend well.
3. whisk oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl to blend well;
fold in flour mixture, then grated zucchini and pecans.
transfer cake batter to prepared pan.
bake cake until tester inserted in center comes out clean,
about 45 minutes. cool cake completely in pan on rack,
about an hour.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 8 oz. package philadelphia brand cream cheese
(do not use reduced fat or fat free!), room temperature
- 3 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1. using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter
in medium bowl until blended. beat in sugar, vanilla and
2. spread frosting thickly over top of cake.
cut cake into wedges and serve.
enjoy with a glass of milk!